2008- Present Teacher for Plano ISD
- reference interview in the library with students to ascertain what they are looking for in a book or to help them widen their literary repertoire. (weekly for 15+ years)
- create and adapt lessons, assignments, and assessments to meet the varying needs of each student.
- analyze data to identify target students and to create effective interventions.
- communicate with parents frequently through weekly class update emails in addition to phone calls as needed.
- Incorporate technology that creates a more authentic learning experience for students, such as Google Classroom, Google Docs, using YouTube for learning, Flipgrid, Padlet, various bibliography sites, databases like Ebsco for research, and more.
- created resource videos for students who need further instruction in challenging areas like grammar and created technology how-to videos using Screencast-O-Matic and Screencastify.
- Collaborate with my teams to constantly improve student learning and teaching effectiveness.
2004- 2008 Teacher Aide for Plano ISD
University of North Texas School of Information Science Masters in Library Science- School Librarianship
American Literature, World Literature I & II, British Literature, and Creative Writing
Johnson and Wales University BAS Food Service Entrepreneurship
Magna Cum Laude
Johnson and Wales University AAS Pastry Arts
Magna Cum Laude
- English 4-8
- English as a Second or other Language Certification EC-12
- Generalist 4-8 Certification
- Special Education K-12 Certification
Clubs and Groups Sponsored
UNT Future School Librarians Facebook Group– I began the group because I had formed friendships in classes that I wished to maintain. Each semester more and more classmates join. Those in the group help each other with tips and advice.
Creative Writing Club– Otto Middle School
This club is for students who wish to be writers when they graduate. I teach them skills needed for writing novels such as outlining, character development, plot development, and how the publishing industry works. If formed the club 6 years ago and membership has grown to about 20 members in 6-8th grade.
I keep a blog, reviewing books and giving writing under the pen name Kathryn Fletcher on QuillandBooks.com
I maintain this website, marykherrera.wordpress.com that documents my journey through my MLIS adventure. After I graduate, I hope to continue this website to document my librarianship journey.
I have been an Otto Middle School Poetry Slam Judge for our for the last 3 years and I’m about to do my fourth year as a judge at the end of April 2018.
I co-authored and was awarded a grant for $1000 to purchase books for the 6th grade English teacher’s classroom libraries.
I was nominated for the superintendant’s award by my peers.
Texas Library Association
American Library Association